Ship Stuff

FINDCOMPAREMOVE 

Moving to Germany

Germany, lake, Mountains

Search for international movers

Popular cities to move to in Germany

Save up to 50% on your international move to Germany

When making an international move to Germany across the world, can be a little overwhelming. Choosing the right international mover with years of experience in moving people like you with all their belongings from one country to another will probably be the wisest investment you will make.

They will help you to avoid the stress of your move and with the help of top moving professionals you know you can concentrate on making the best start possible in your new country!

Get the best deal by comparing moving quotes!
Ship-Stuff.com is a simple way of finding a up to 5 international movers who have the right experience of moving people to Germany. By using our free of charge service you will easily be able to compare the services and prices of the international moving companies who will contact you directly with their quotes.

•    Your site listed here? Contact us

 

What you need to keep in mind when relocating to Germany....

Schools:

The system of the German education is as follows:
Kindergarten: children from 3-6 years attend kindergarten.
Elementary school: children from 7-11 years attend elementary school
After elementary school you will get divided based on the results you have accomplished in the elementary school. You can get into:
Hauptschule: is like VMBO in the Netherlands.
Realschule: is like HAVO in the Netherlands
Gymnasium: is like Gymnasium in the Netherlands.
If you want to see the educational system of the Netherlands to understand better the German educational system please click here.
 

Housing:

In Germany most of the population is renting. Mostly an apartment but there are also residents who rent a house. What you need to know when searching for a house or an apartment in Germany is that 90% of those is unfurnished. Unfurnished in Germany means even without lamps in the sealing or maybe a closet. Once you have rented you will need to buy everything by yourself.
Prices:
Rent prices depend on the accommodation you have chosen. House is of course more expensive than an apartment.  Apartment in city centre with one bedroom is between 440 and 700 euros monthly, the same apartment outside city centre is between 300 and 530 euros monthly. If you want an apartment with 3 bedrooms in city centre you will be paying between 800 and 1450 euros monthly and for the same apartment outside city centre you will be paying between 650 and 1000 euros monthly.
 

Medical Care:

Medical care in Germany is very good and at very high level. Germany has two types of hospitals, the ones which the government owns and the private ones. 77% is owned by the government and the remaining 23% is owned by a private person or organization. Because of the qualitative health care Germany is ranked 13th in the world for the longest life expectance.

List of the best and biggest hospitals in Germany:

  • Asklepios Klinik Barmbek (5th of the world top 10 list of hospitals)
  • The University Hospital Aachen
  • Charite Hospital  

Jobs:

The best job opportunities in Germany are in the following industries:

  • Metal, mechanical and automotive engineering
  • Building equipment and utilities
  • Health, medicine and care

The easiest way to apply for a job is to do it directly online by uploading your resume. The best websites to apply for a job are:

Job Listings

Toytown (especially for foreigners)

Xpat Jobs (this one is also for foreigners)

Bank Accounts:

Opening a bank account as a foreigner in Germany is not so hard. Germany has many foreigners already living there so they are used to it and have some special rules. As a foreigner opening a bank account the best choice would be one the bigger banks in banks. The reason for that is the experience they have dealing with foreigners opening bank account and that’s why they can give you the best advice. Once you have opened a bank account you must be able to put 600 euros every month on your bank account, otherwise they will collect every month 4, 50 euros fee of your account.

List of 3 biggest and best banks to open a bank account in  Germany:

Deutshce Bank

Commerzbank

KFW Bankgruppe

Visas:

 Getting visa for Germany isn’t a very complicated process.  The first thing you must do is book an appointment at the visa application centre. You can make an appointment also online. Once you have done that the visa application centre will send you an invoice. When you have paid the bill and sent visa application centre proof that you have paid your appointment will be confirmed. Once you have done that you should prepare all of the paperwork like foreign identification papers and then bring just in case the proof that you have paid the bill of VAC. When you have submitted your request it is only a matter of time when your visa will be done.

If you are a resident of the EU and you want to move to Germany you will not have any trouble getting visa because you don’t need it. Non-EU residents should follows this process.

Cost of Living:

If you are a resident of Germany most likely you will be spending most of money on groceries and monthly rent and the least money on clothing and sport activities. If you want to know more about cost of living in Germany please click here.

Medical Care:

Medical care in Germany is very good and at very high level. Germany has two types of hospitals, the ones which the government owns and the private ones. 77% is owned by the government and the remaining 23% is owned by a private person or organization. Because of the qualitative health care Germany is ranked 13th in the world for the longest life expectance.

List of the best and biggest hospitals in Germany:

  • Asklepios Klinik Barmbek (5th of the world top 10 list of hospitals)
  • The University Hospital Aachen
  • Charite Hospital  

Driving License:

 Foreigners with foreign driver’s license can drive for 12 months with their current domestic licence before they need to exchange it for German one.

If the language of the driver’s license is recognized by the German authorities (English or German) then you can exchange it for an International one and with that one you can drive without doing any test.

If you were a resident of the EU before moving to Germany than you can exchange you driver’s license for a German one within 12 months, once those 12 months have passed and you haven’t applied for a German one than your license becomes invalid and you have to take the practical test again.

Residents Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan and USA can exchange their driver’s license for the German one by only doing the theory exam.

Tax:

 This is the income tax of Germany which depends on how much money you make yearly.

Euros Personal tax rates in Germany
Less than € 8 004 0% (for married couples € 16 008)
€ 8 005 - € 52 881 14% - 42%
€ 52 882 - € 250 730 42%
€ 250 731 45%

Links:

Schooling

Housing

Cost of living

Jobs

Bank Accounts